Ewing Elected Officials
2018 Board and Officers
Chair: Joe Mirabella
Vice Chair: John Hoegl
Secretary: Lee Farnham
- Dan Burke (term exp 12/31/2020)– [Planning Board, Site Review Liaison]
Dan is a New Jersey state certified landscape architect who joined the EEC in 2013. LLA from Penn State. He participates in the site review committee and was involved in Ewing Master Plan revisions.
- Evan Crumiller (term exp 12/31/19)
Evan Crumiller is a graduate of the George Washington University. The newest member of the EEC, Evan is also a member of the Condemnation Board and the Green Team. He is the creator of the Ewing Green Business Recognition Program.
- Ann Rawlings Farnham [Author, Tree of the Month/Site review] (term exp 12/31/19)
Ann Farnham, LLA, has a Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture from the University of Illinois. She writes the Tree of the Month column and is on the Site Review Committee.
- Lee Farnham (term exp 12/31/2020)
An Environmental Commission member since 2003, Lee is a graduate of Middlebury College, Vt., a lifelong birder, member of Feeder Watch, and Trustee of the New Jersey Association of Environmental Commissions (ANJEC).
- John Hoegl (term exp 12/31/2020)
A retired businessman who joined the EEC in 2005, John is a graduate of Bucknell University and spent over 43 years in industry. He is a founding member of the Ewing Green Team, and his major concern is to find and implement renewable energy technologies to mitigate global warming, and to save money in so doing.
- Charles Maack (term exp 12/31/18)
NDJEP 43 years (retired), worked in the Water and Hazardous Waste Compliance and Enforcement programs. Life long gardener. BS, Environmental Science, Rutgers.
- Joseph-Mark Mirabella (term exp 12/31/19)
NJDEP 31 yrs. (retired), Ewing Redevelopment Agency, BS & MS Environmental Science, Rutgers
- Joanne Mullowney (term exp 12/31/2018) [Webmaster]
IT Librarian – Webmaster and Technology Training Supervisor at East Brunswick Public Library (retired) (MLS – Rutgers), a lifelong gardener and current Chair of the Ewing Green Team. She is currently the Ewing Township Webmaster. She joined the EEC in 2016.
Members of the Ewing Environmental Commission, with the exception of new appointees, have all completed the course on the Fundamentals for Effective Environmental Commissions given by ANJEC (Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissioners) or Rutgers University’s Environmental Stewards program. Several members have attended presentations on Trees, Water Protection, Air Pollution, and other environmental topics.
Since arboriculture is constantly changing with fast-paced technological and scientific innovations, Ewing recognizes the need for a broad based and ongoing training program for individuals at all levels of the Shade Tree Management Program. From Public works Employees to Committee Members and Administrators, all need continued technical and managerial information to benefit Ewing’s tree resource.
The Ewing Environmental Commission and the Department of Public Works have a portion of their budgets dedicated to ongoing training of its Committee members and Public Works Crews. The Ewing Environmental Commission encourages and provides for its members to participate in continuing education classes and CORE training as included in the New Jersey Shade Tree & Community Forestry Assistance Act.
- Environmental Commission members Dan Burke, Joe Mirabella, John Hoegl and Lee Farnham are CORE trained as are a number of Township employees. Members of the Environmental Commission also regularly attend continuing education courses at the Shade Tree Federation’s annual meetings every October.
- Several members of the Commission are Licensed Landscape Architects who go to a variety of environmental tree and plant seminars each year at Bowman’s Hill, The Morton Arboretum and the Philadelphia Flower Show, etc. The Commission is required to generate eight CEUs each year for tree-related educational seminars, but between them our two Landscape Architects usually receive 25-30 CEU credits for their classes.